Thursday, October 7, 2010

five: isabella giancarlo : to drift

Tom and I decided to dérive on the main green.  We snuck into dorms and classrooms, taking a passive role, while watching the high-paced lives of the students and teachers on campus.  We included people as part of the environment we were drifting through.  While reading the texts about the dérive and the philosophy behind the dérive, I was most struck by what one text described as the goal for the trip.  It explained the mission of a derive as a "study of a terrain while emotionally disorienting yourself."  So, I decided to write a little poetry to describe that process and the difficulties of being vulnerable in that sense.  Another goal of the situationaists, that I focused by derive on, was "for the fulfillment of human premature desires and the pursuing of a passionate quality."  While moving through space, during the dérive, I attempted to follow my instincts and going through the walk leaving my normal inhibitions behind.  These were the inspirations that preluded our dérive.

static flow of feet
push pavement deeper into the ground
hurry
faster                       faster
late to class

my mind scrambles
process: make meaning
of my role in this place
where i should be
people give strange glances
for walking so slow & so silently
i should be somewhere right now, right?
thoughts rushing
faster                        faster
the thoughts
creep
disorient yourself, isabella.

so i stare at the people running mad
without their umbrellas
terrified of hydrogen and oxygen
uncomfortable with the sense of calm the rain induces.

No comments:

Post a Comment